Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Open That Bottle Night: 10th Edition

Are you saving a certain bottle of wine for a special occasion? Yet have you also found that the right special time never seems to arrive? Do you keep putting off opening that bottle year after years? Well a good time to open that bottle may be very soon.

February 28 is the 10th annual Open That Bottle Night (OTBN). Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, who write a wine column for the Wall Street Journal, created OTBN in 2000. Their intention was to give people a reason to open that special bottle of wine that remains in storage, never getting opened because the right occasion has never arisen. OTBN is always celebrated on the last Saturday in February.

Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher also encourage people to send stories about their OTBN experiences. You can also check out their prior suggestions for celebrating OTBN.

OTBN has really caught on and special events to commemorate the day are held throughout the country. Many wine lovers participate and drink some incredible wines. Locally, Bin Ends is holding a special Twitter Taste Live event for OTBN.

I have not yet decided how I will celebrate OTBN though I have several wines which I could open. But I will participate and hope tht my readers partake as well. If you have OTBN plans, please tell me what you will do. Or tell me after OTBN what you did do to celebrate.

No comments: