Monday, July 16, 2007

2002 Onyx Kroon


The 2002 Darling Cellars Onyx Kroon ($25) is from the Groenekloof region of South Africa. "Kroon" means "Crown." It is a Cape blend made of 55% Shiraz, 35% Pinotage, 5% Grenache, and 5% Cinsault. This is their Flagship wine so they use only their best grapes for this blend. It is also supposed to be a low production wine.

This evening, I opened a bottle with my dinner, a couple Kobe beef burgers (bought from the Butcher Shop in the South End). The wine is dark and rich, a powerful wine with a spicy finish with touches of smoke and even bacon. It is a bold wine and definitely paired well with the Kobe. Though I enjoyed this wine, I am not sure it is worth its price. For though it is very good, it is not exceptional. I would definitely Drink this wine anytime, but I don't think I would buy it again. The Hill & Dale Pinotage ($8-10) is a much better value from South Africa.

No comments: